Joshua R. Slavitt
Joshua R. Slavitt is a registered patent attorney and founding member of Slavitt IP Law. Mr. Slavitt practices in all areas of intellectual property law. He counsels inventors, early stage ventures, established technology companies, universities, and investor groups on the strategic use of intellectual property with an emphasis on IP creation and acquisition strategies, IP portfolio management, and IP monetization.
Mr. Slavitt’s practice includes:
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications in the chemical and mechanical arts
- Providing patentability, validity, and freedom to operate opinions
- Preparing and prosecuting trademark applications
- Managing patent and trademark portfolios
- Designing and implementing IP best practices and procedures
- Counseling on the use and protection of trade secrets, trademarks, trade dress, domain names and Internet-related trademark usage
- Conducting IP due diligence for investments and acquisitions
- Formulating IP monetization strategies
- Representing clients in all aspects of patent and trademark litigation at the trial and appellate levels
Mr. Slavitt is active in the Philadelphia business community through his involvement in local business organizations, as a speaker to local business groups, and as a mentor for the Wharton Entrepreneurial Center and the Tsai Center for Innovative Thinking at Yale. He has served as co-chair of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Licensing Executives Society from 2007-2012, a director of the Entrepreneurs’ Forum of Greater Philadelphia, for which he served as president from 1999 to 2000, and as co-chair of the Philadelphia 100 in 2005 and 2007. He also has served as a director for the Greater Philadelphia Venture Group and the Pennsylvania Private Investors Group, and continues as an active member of the Licensing Executives Society.
Mr. Slavitt earned an undergraduate degree in philosophy and economics from the University of Pennsylvania and a law degree from Boston University School of Law, and has studied chemistry at Drexel University.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Pennsylvania (Eastern District)
- U.S. Third Circuit
- U.S. Federal Circuit
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- J.D., Boston University School of Law
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania
- IAM Strategy 300 – World’s Leading IP Strategists, 2017-2021
- IAM Strategy 300 Global Leaders, 2021
- Best Lawyers in America – Patent Law, 2021-2022
- Notice Requirements for Employers Under The Defense of Trade Secrets Act
- Patent Owners Beware: Court Ruling Invigorates a New Patent Litigation Risk
- You’re a Co-Inventor? Prove It
- Anticipated, But Not Obvious
- Federal Circuit Clarifies “On Sale” for Purposes of 102(b)
- Real World IP Due Diligence – Managing Risk and Avoiding Disaster in Real Time
- U.S. Patent Law in 2010: New Risks and Opportunities for Canadian and U.S.